I've been talking to my dad lately about genealogy. He helped me create a fan chart of my ancestors and it was really interesting. I found myself googling the names off the fan chart, just to see if any interesting stories existed. I found a few and it was strangely comforting to hear of the struggles my ancestors had went through.
Now, before you roll your eyes. This post is NOT a bunch of stories about my ancestors. While they are interesting, I'm sure they're just interesting to me, not to all of you.
However, these little stories made me realize how important this blog may be to others someday. There are a bunch of little experiences that happen that don't warrant an entire blog post, but they're things that might seem interesting to someone down the road.
*Matt put together Pudee's crib one night while I was sick. Nothing serious, just basically a combination of sick of being pregnant syndrome, migraine headache and a slight head cold. That night, he brought in the big box of crib and changing table parts into our bedroom and started putting everything together. The girls ran around unaware of what this new crib meant. Holynd kept giving Matt instructions. Some of which were completely incorrect, while others were strangely accurate. When all was said and done, the crib and the changing table were everything I wanted. Matt moved the changing table into Maddox's room and then proceeded to push the crib in too. However, when he reached our bedroom doorway, it became shockingly obvious that the crib was too wide to fit through. Now, my husband is smart, handsome, funny and patient. But, everyone's patience has a breaking point and Matt's breaking point is when he has to put things together. So, when he faced the reality that the crib would have to come apart, in order to fit through the door, he wasn't having it. He took the doors off their hinges and placed the doors in the hallways. The crib barely made it through both doorways, sans doors, and the crib was placed in the perfect place.
**We bought our Volvo a little bit before I found out I was pregnant with Maddox. I remember driving around with Matt, totally unaware of my new pregnancy. I looked back at the girls in their carseats and then turned to Matt and said, "What are we going to do with all this room?". I'm sure that gave someone in heaven a chuckle because eight months later we placed a third carseat in that Volvo.
**I was there the day my grandma had to be taken to the hospital. I spent the day in her home with my mom and my little brothers. I was a week away from having Holynd and was still going back and forth about her name. I was pppprrrrrreeeeetttttttttttty sure I wanted to name her Holynd, but I was scared of having a baby without a name firmly picked out. I'm not like that now, I'm ok with being unsure until I see the baby. The last thing my grandma said to me was, "Take care of that baby. Take care of Holynd". That settled it for me. We were going to name her Holynd.
**Sloane struggled with colic from about 6 weeks old to about 3 and a half months old. It broke my heart, especially because she was such a good baby for the first six weeks. Every night she would start screaming at about 6pm and keep screaming until around midnight, sometimes later. It. Was. Awful. I tried everything to comfort her. The only thing that slightly worked was if I paced the hallway really fast and sang, Praise to the Man. For some reason, she loved that hymn. At 3.5 months old, all the sudden she found her thumb. She was a completely different baby. I'd feed her, place her in her crib and she'd stick her little thumb in her mouth and fall asleep. I had remembered on one of her ultrasounds being shown that she was sucking her thumb. It was almost like she needed to figure out how to do it once she was here. She's still a loyal thumb sucker.
**Matt got rear-ended 2 weeks before we got married. His Civic was totaled, but they gave us a rental car to get us by until we bought a new one. It was a Nissan Sentra. It sounded like it had a hamster running on a wheel under the hood. That car was hilarious. A few days after our wedding, we went shopping for things that our little home still needed. We ended up with a TV, a dining room table and bags of other odds and ends. We had completely forgot how small that stupid Sentra was, but somehow, after an hour of moving things around, we got it all to fit. I had to ride all the way home hunched over with my seat smashed forward and not fully straightened-up.
**We had our reception on a separate day of our actual wedding day. We got married on a Friday and had our reception on a Saturday. I'm still trying to decide if this was a good idea or not. Matt and I ran down to Payson first thing Saturday morning so I could get my hair done and my mom could help me into my dress. After we both were ready, we hopped in the stupid Sentra and started driving to the reception center. When we got off the freeway, my mom called, "Your dad is hungry and wants you to pick him up something to eat." (My dad was at the reception center setting up.) So we decided to go through a Wendy's drive-through. There we were, all decked out in our wedding garb in the Wendy's drive-up. I think the kid working at the window did a triple-take. I'm sure he wondered what kind of jerk would take his new wife to a Wendy's drive-up for their wedding dinner.
I'm hoping to keep posting these little stories as they come to mind. Maybe one day our kids and their kids will sit around and laugh at how weird Matt and I were.
:)