This is a story about Sloane's hair.
Not poop.
Are you disappointed?
Yes? No?
Ok.
When Sloane's hair started to curl, I was so excited. A little girl with curls. It was so much fun and, for me, it just symbolized the night-and-day differences between my two little girls.
However, as it grew longer, I found myself completely oblivious on how to take care of it. Every night I would comb it out and it would break-off in chucks. It was so sad to see those curls come out in the comb.
When Holynd started dance class, I noticed that one of the little girls in her class had a head full of curls. Curls like Sloane. I turned to her mom and said, "How do you take care of it? I'm struggling!".
"Stop shampooing"
I wasn't sure what to think after that. Bathtime was my favorite time of the day and I loved to have my girls come out of the tub squeaky clean. Not shampooing just didn't feel as clean for me.
Later on, my sister-in-law said the same thing. "No more shampoo. Just conditioner. Once her hair gets long enough, you'll be able to wash her scalp without washing the curls, but until then, just quit."
So I tried it.
By some miracle, it no longer broke off and her curls became as cute as ever. It still kinda bugged me that I couldn't shampoo, but I got over it. Not having to listen to Sloane cry while I pulled out her hair was worth it.
Fast forward, to a few nights ago. I had come to the determination that Holynd was probably ready for some REAL shampoo and not the baby 3-in-1 stuff. (Yes! I was still using the baby stuff!) I went to the store and found something with princesses on it. When I read the fragrance name, Twisted Swirlberry, I knew I had found something Holynd would LOVE. I bought it.
That night, Holynd was so excited to try her Princess Shampoo. I finished washing her hair and went to put the same old conditioner on Sloane's hair.
"Poo please?" She said.
She looked at me with those big blue eyes and I couldn't say no.
It had been awhile since Sloane's hair had been scrubbed, so I decided to wash it with shampoo. Secretly, I knew it would make me feel better. After all, the word, "detangler", was all over this shampoo bottle - how bad could it be?
Turns out.
Bad.
Sloane's hair had grown a lot since we had stopped using shampoo and trying to comb it out was ten times worse. It didn't matter how much spray-in conditioner I used, I could barely get a comb through it.
It was awful. She cried a lot and we ended up having to take a few breaks during combing. Chunks of it were coming out in the comb. UGH!
After about 20 minutes of torture, we finally got her hair combed out.
I vowed, no more shampoo.
I still love those curls.
No comments:
Post a Comment